Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Of Everything I Could Be

I'm with Annie on this book. It falls under the "Dammit, why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait, I did, but then I realized it was a dumb idea" category of failure. Also - isn't labeling something as ordinary thereby proving that it is the exact opposite of ordinary? Like saying to yourself, "Wow, I'm really stupid," all the while knowing that true stupid people don't realize they're stupid? Lastly, I'm pretty sure a plain old ordinary life doesn't come with an encyclopedia. Coming soon: "Encyclopedia of the Best Life Ever" by Annsay Huntrett. That's more like it.

Remember the show "Encyclopedia" on HBO? And Betty the band? Ya'll don't know about me. (Another show I bring up all the time but no one remembers: Spartacus, the cartoon, which used to come on Nickelodeon at like 4 in the morning...he would scream, "I am Spartacus!" Anyone remember this?)

Yesterday, I fell asleep at my desk for a good twenty, twenty-five minutes. I only awoke just as I was about to drool on the story I was critiquing for this week's workshop. I can't tell you how sad it is that I spend my days trying not to fall asleep when I could be somewhere else, actually doing something. Oh, Chicago, how I yearn for thee!

Fact: the commissioner of baseball who banned Pete Rose was Bart Giamatti, who just happened to be the youngest president of Yale, and who also happens to be Paul Giamatti's father. Ben was pretty excited when I told him that, so I thought I'd pass it on to the reader of this blog. If only I were on Jeopardy...

This movie and this movie are getting all the buzz at Sundance so far. On that note, let's abolish the word "buzz" in terms of it signifying hipness. Rather than buzz, why not use the word 'GOB', in honor of the funniest character ever? (Remember when he was on Sex and the City? He was the guy who liked to have sex in places where he could get caught, culminating in the scene when his parents walk in on he and Miranda.) (Look at this weird picture of him.) (He's also married to Amy Poehler.)

Tobey Maguire?

What are these nerds doing here?

Jason King: I heard about Philip Johnson, and I thought of you, even though I have no idea about your architectural tastes or even whether or not you enjoy peanut butter.

This is the best thing ever. I don't want to hear any jive about supporting corporate America, either. I live in Orlando. I have a choice between Starbucks and Barnie's. Barnie's doesn't even carry soy milk. Though, they do have better chai.

Seeing the sad bear-in-a-coffee-cup which just happens to be red and have the words "I Love You" in Cathy scrawl reminds me to remind anyone who might be reading this never to fall for the ploy of teddy-bear-accompanied-by-useable-gift that every store seems to think is a great idea. "A teddy bear? What the hell am I going to do with that? Wait! Is that a tiny '7 Habits of Highly Effective People' in its paws? Wow, you really do love me!" Believe me, people, I've been burned by this before.

No comments: