Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Keeping it Weird 4 Lyfe

This Thursday I'll be reading for the first time ever in Austin, TX, and yep I just peed a little in excitement. I'll be reading with Dan Boehl, whose new book, Kings of the F**king Sea, is out now!

Can't wait to see Amelia Gray and Mary Miller and Sarah Grainer and my brother/sister in-law and a couple dogs I'mma mash faces with.

And to reenact this picture.
But before all of that, I'm reading and DJing at the Artifice Magazine Dirty South Dance Party tomorrow night. My DJ name is DJ Sensible Shoes. Control your jealousy and admiration, please. Setlist sneak peek here!

Last night I read at the Encyclopedia Show. I really can't say enough about that event - it is always so unique and wonderful, and if you haven't been to one you should make it a point to do so a-sap.

On my walk to the train afterward I passed a house where a band was practicing in the attic. Whoever they were, they were super emo, and I was very moved, okay? I'm not made of stone. Until a gentleman in a butt-length leather jacket walked by and requested Freebird. And then requested it again when there was no reaction. And then again, caterwauling like he was being stabbed and these were his last words.

I believe what I witnessed was the death, finally, of that joke. I feel lucky to have played a part in its demise.

In other news, I have new stories in Annalemma and Wigleaf, journals I have been salivating over for a long time. And I'm excited to have a story in the launch issue of Midwestern Gothic! Such a great premise for a journal and it's awesome to be a part of it. And stories forthcoming in Barrelhouse, trnsfr, and Dark Sky. eeeee!

No comments: